Thursday, January 24, 2013

Reisen nach Deutschland

Hallo!

Brot, Zucker, Bitte, Auf Wiedersehen, Teller, Tische, Obst, Tasse, Glas, Tschüs, Orangensaft, Apfel, Die Frau, Der Mann, Das Kind, Das Mädchen...

Okay, okay...if you haven't noticed those are all German words. I am working on learning German. Why German you ask? Well, my husband, son, and myself are now living in Germany for the next 3 years. It's exciting, yes! It is also a culture shock. Learning another language doesn't seem like such a big deal until YOU are the one who can't speak the language of the Country. Now just to clarify, the words above are not the only ones I know. I just figured that was enough to get my point across. :D

So I realize it's been quite awhile since I've updated this blog. I really am HORRIBLE at this. However, I am here now and will explain...

My husband requested to be stationed in Germany so that we may see some of the world while we can. It has been quite an interesting and stressful few months. We had to go to a bunch of appointments and make sure we did everything we needed to in order to be able to come to Germany. We drove cross country (West Texas to Central Florida) to visit family before we flew to the airport where we would board our flight to Germany. Once we arrived in Germany it was errand after errand trying to situates ourselves here. You don't realize everything that needs to be done until you arrive just because it is within a different Country. A different bank account to use with local German businesses, new phone companies you've never heard of, getting a P.O. Box and then figuring out how to forward mail to an APO address, taking the proper driving test, getting around and trying to FIND your way around, learning to interact in a different language...really the list goes on and on! Just like anything else though, with a little practice (and the occasional help from good 'ole Google) you will learn and adapt. There are still things we are trying to do and accomplish but some of them, such as learning a language, will take time and continuous effort.

On the bright side we are in a beautiful Country, we get to experience the seasons again, see a different culture, and travel. There are so many places to go and see that I don't think we'll be able to see it all even in the 3 years we'll be here. We sure will try though!

For now we are still in a hotel while we wait to move in to our post housing. Luckily we have a kitchen to use so that we can cook our own meals. The downfall of still being in a hotel is that there is not much to do. I haven't put a lot of thought into it yet but it is very likely that my next post will be; Things to do in a hotel with a toddler. Trust me I have searched Pinterest for ideas with no luck. So I am off to make my own list, wish me luck!

Bis Bald!

Ashley

4 comments:

  1. When you make your list, post it on Pinterest!! Updating your blog is a good way to pass the time too....I finally updated mine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your update. I will post it when I finish it. I still have 19 days in a hotel haha. :)

      Delete
  2. This is great Ashley! Enjoy the adventure.

    ReplyDelete